If you are looking to replace your current roofing material with something that will stand out, look no further than slate roofing. The benefits are many and the beauty is unmatched. A1 Quality Roofing in Austin is the expert you need when it comes to slate roofing.
But, how much will slate roofing cost? In Austin, the cost of a new slate roof could be between $500 and $900 per square. One square is equal to 100 square feet. Of course, this figure depends on the size of the home, the tear-off of the old material, and any additional costs determined by the contractor to properly complete the job. A1 Quality Roofing in Austin is the best roofing contractor to speak with regarding slate roofs. Our team of professionals has the training and experience to properly install your slate roof in Austin with ease and confidence.
What Kind of Slate Materials are There?
This is a popular material due to its durability and long-lasting life. The weight, however, can be heavy on the frame of the home. It would be wise to discuss the structure with your roofing contractor in Austin before deciding on this product for a new roof.
This material is a fraction of the cost of natural. Synthetic slate shingles are made of recycled materials such as asphalt and rubber polymers created to mimic natural slate. Chisel marks are included to give it a look of authenticity. The beauty of this product is that it is lightweight so additional support in your home is not needed.
Pros of Slate roofing
- Earth-friendly. It requires little to no processing and can easily be used at the end of its life for other projects.
- Fireproof. Slate is completely fireproof. This quality makes it a safer choice than standard asphalt and cedar shingles
- Low Maintenance. Slate does not require much maintenance at all, except for keeping it clean and looking for loose or broken tiles.
Cons of Slate Roofing
- Weight. Synthetic slate is quite a bit lighter than natural. Synthetic only weighs approximately 273 pounds per square foot, while natural is closer to 800 to 1500 pounds per square foot. Special equipment may be needed to secure the weight of the slate.
- Expensive. Even though this material will last for centuries, the price tag reflects that. Synthetic slate is less expensive than natural, but still a pricey item.
- Foot traffic. If someone doesn’t understand the impact of slate tiles and walks all over your roof, several shingles may become damaged. While this material is quite durable, it does not hold up well against excessive foot traffic.
Other Key Notes
- Installing slate is a very labor-intensive project. It must be nailed onto a roof with careful precision and skill. This is not a project the weekend DIY-er can complete with confidence. The professionals at A1 Quality Roofing in Austin completely understand and have the proper training to install this gorgeous roofing material with ease and perfection.
- Slate shingles come in a variety of colors. The specific characteristics give the roof a unique and elevated elegant look.
A1 Quality Roofing in Austin is available to answer any questions you may have about slate roofing. The benefits are many but must be installed with care and precision. This roofing material is a step above all of the other roofing materials and your home will stand out. (If you ever want to know about roof replacement cost in Austin, check it now!)
Trust us to provide you with a fantastic roof because when quality and price matter, A1 Quality Roofing have you covered! Call today for a free quote!